21 January 2006

Yaay, Pot(s)!

I went to St. Pete Clay today. And I actually made things! I haven't actually made anything in a very long time. It was wonderful. I made four things, one of which will be presented at an event later this year.
I also took some pictures, since A) it's been a while and I have new stuff, and B) one of my regular readers needs them. So without further ado:

Here are some old jugs, which I made years ago at Clemson and which have been in my house ever since. I thought I could maybe put them up for sale at St. Pete Clay at cheap prices and have them sell right away. And yet, here they sit. The black and orange one, without the handle, is glazed inside with the famous Praseodymium Yellow glaze, also called RF Yellow. There was also an RF blue, though the blue jug here is not RF Blue; it's St. Johns Blue. All of these were glazes I invented. Unfortunately you can't really see the RF Yellow. Maybe I'll take another picture, since, despite the shockingly yellow glaze this one doesn't seem likely to sell.


Here is a piece of User-Defined Art (UDA). It is also called the UFO. I don't know what it is. I don't know why it's so bloody heavy, either, but I try not worry much about that. It's sort of the shape of a lava lamp, I guess. I suppose you'd use it as a vase, but really, I'm just not sure. I hope somebody buys it because it sort of mocks me, sitting there.








And here is a jar, with a lid. It is a rather extravagant lid, with absolutely no purpose. I like it for that reason. The glazes here are... unusual. The red on top is okay. The green below, it's... I'm not sure what to make of. It's called Ayumi, though that means absolutely nothing to me. It turned out a beautiful and consistent sea-foam green on an urn I made earlier, but here it's hardly consistent and not really sea-foam green. I don't dislike it, understand, but the color scheme on this jar is almost violently inappropriate. I should have taken a picture of the inside, which is really, really cool--the same red glaze you see here, only it went all deep purple on me. Tres cool.



Here's a pic of several things that have come out of the kiln recently and not been photographed, including the two previous items. The toy jars in front are all glaze tests. The black vase in the foreground is so freaking shiny it's almost scary. I want to charge way too much for it, which is why it's not on the sale shelf yet. These pieces are mostly the dregs of a spurt of productivity through the summer; I haven't actually made anything new, aside from the toy jars and two 14" platters that are as yet unglazed, since Septemeber.



Now, these are very old jugs. In fact, the one is the first large jug I made, probably back in May or June. It's been sitting on the wood shelf for months and months, and then finally in December we fired the Anagama kiln. I had four pieces in it.





One of the four pieces was this here pitcher. The inside is, mostly, smooth. I wish it were smoother, but I did everything I could. Realistically this piece should have been at the top of a shelf, but it sat on the floor and was surrounded by coals, which actually kept the temperature slightly too cool for the glaze inside to vitrify.
Still, it's water tight, and it's very nice. I sort of see this as a gift piece, though, not as a sale piece, since I think the odds of it selling are fairly slim, because of the rough inside. So if you'd like it and can think of a reason why you deserve it, let me know. I'm thinking of some particular person I might give it to, though that person has already requested something different.



Here are two better pictures of the jugs that came out of the Anagama. The one on the left here was probably my very favorite jug. I'm sorry to say it did not fire quite as I might have hoped; it's much rougher than I'd wanted, a casualty of a slightly low firing temperature and probably other factors. Still, if you click on the photo and view the larger size you can see some of the subtle shades and coloration that make it very unique in its own right.
The picture on the right here is a closeup of the old jug. This jug just plain looks freakin' cool. The blue glaze on it didn't vitrify at all, so it just looks like a cobalt wash spilled over the top. And, it looks like it's been buried in the ground for years. I love that look.






So that's the most recent set of photos. Now that... events have conspired... I will probably be making a few more things. Though, since there's a good bit of stuff on my shelves yet, I don't have much room for things. For that reason, I'm mostly looking for commissions. So if anybody wants anything special, just say so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice work. if i had some cash, i'd love the blue jug. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Is the Pitcher small enough to drink coffe in? I'll take it!

-O'B

Ayzair said...

I know I've requested a jug with the double side handles, but that big pitcher is very cool with the red splotch! I like irregular things and would give it a loving home :)

Separately, what has transpired? I request an e-mail of explanation, preferably to Elm so we all know. Of course, I haven't checked my e-mail since Friday, so maybe you already did this ...

Unknown said...

Thanks, everybody, for the compliments.

Ayzair, email sent as requested.
O'B, the pitcher would easily accomodate at least 12 cups of coffee. You really don't want to be drinking out of this thing.
But if you'd like a mug, I'll make one.

BL, which blue jug do you mean? The little blue jug in the top pictures is dirt cheap! Make an offer! The big jug with blue on it in the last picture... isn't priced yet. But it won't be as cheap. It's one of those things I didn't really care for until it came out of the kiln? Yeah. It'll probably run in the $60 range.

Anonymous said...

Sold! I'll take a mug!
-O'B