31 January 2006

Oh, come on!

All right, I admit it. I watch American Idol. I hope you don't think less of me. I'm not quite sure why I watch it; I hate most of the music, and I'm older than all of the contestants. I guess it's nice to see people pursue a dream, even it makes me gag.
The last dude on tonight's episode, Taylor, the grey-haired feller from Alabama--this guy, I want to see this guy in the finals. I want to buy this guy's album(s). This guy, he's pretty much the first person from Idol I've ever wanted to buy his album. I'd even break my cardinal "No RIAA purchases" rule for this guy.
Simon said no! The bastard. Actually, he had a good point--a grey-haired drawlin' white Suth'ner singing Sam Cooke? No, they're not going to vote him into the finals. The people who call in to vote on this program, they're not going to; they're just not that bright. These people voted for Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson, who are awful. I cannot possibly make enough phone calls to that 800 number to get this Taylor guy into the finals, though rest assured I will try.
Paula and Randy liked him enough to let him go forward to Hollywood. Maybe, just maybe, I'm underestimating the American Idol voter pool (unlikely; I probably give them too much credit for taste). But you heard it here, folks: the first truly interesting musician in five years of American Idol performed tonight. I hope he gets a chance.



4 comments:

scanime said...

Maybe Taylor will dye his hair when he gets to Hollywood. Although he's been living with grey hair for a good long time, it may be hard for him to change.

Not that I watch American Idol. I proudly go against the cultural meme and never watch the show. I was just... err... looking for something to watch before the State of the Union started. Yeah, that's it.

Lucky Bob said...

You aren't going to get any flack from me about it. I just admitted that I like bad movies. Maybe someone will recognize him and offer him something other than a lollypop gig.

Anonymous said...

The way I look at it is this. Any truly great talent would absolutely NOT want to win American Idol. I don't think that it was all that but the guy that lost last year actually wanted to lose. There are nasty clauses in the contracts that you are forced to sign if you win the contest that basically makes you a bitch of the recording industry. Simon in particular, being that he is the executive producer of the program. Ahhh, to be a slave to the whims of a Recording Executive. That would be dreamy.

He should use the program to get as far as he possibly can (I agree that he won't get voted into the final group) and then use the publicity to produce his own albums. That way he wouldn't have to sell his soul to the RIAA either.

Oh and congrats on the Danish posting. That was a great entry.

Rambling Speech said...

I saw him and liked him too. The hair was actually very charming and set him a bit apart from the rest of the youngsters. Let's start a fan club and drum up some votes! I have a feeling he'll be offered something if he stays consistent.