05 January 2006

Hooray for the IRS

I just wanted to say how very thrilled I was to receive my 2005 federal income tax forms in the mail today. The rest of the government may not be able to work efficiently, but it's good to know that the agency charged with hoovering money out of your wallet is spot on time.

I noticed on the form that my local IRS Service Center, in Atlanta, is also the local service center for Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, and Rhode Island.
Rhode Island.
There's another center in Andover, Mass. I checked my mapping software. No part of Rhode Island is more than 100 miles from Andover (except Block Island). All the other New England states use the Andover center. Why does Rhode Island use the Atlanta center? Does this bother Rhode Islanders? Do they get their refunds later?


1 comment:

Lucky Bob said...

Yeah mine came yesterday, and the state forms came the day before. I might cruch some numbers to see if I get a refund this year.