04 January 2006

Decisions

I've had to make a couple of really significantly large decisions about life in the last couple of weeks, and a few more are on their way. The difficulty of one of those decisions seems to have been underestimated by some folks. I'm not criticizing anyone here, lest any of my readers think I'm throwing darts.

It's just given me cause to note how difficult empathy is. The decision I've made is one that I'd warrant a lot of my friends and family might think I made fairly easily. It wasn't. But a couple times recently I found someone who didn't seem to get that. And I thought, why should they?

We have at best a vague idea of how other people think, and even at that we are frequently wrong. You think you know somebody, but the truth is you only know what's going on outside, and it's easy to look at that and make assumptions. It's also easy to do the exact opposite and assume other people understand what you're going through even when you don't bother to explain matters to them. So, I'm going to try to be more understanding, and to help folks do a better job of understanding me. Well, some folks. Only a few. Not you, certainly, dear reader, much as I do adore you. For you, I shall continue to be as blank a slate as possible.


1 comment:

Spearsi said...

I think that's very mature of you. It is easy to make assumptions about people based on what you see. It's also easy for them to do the same with you. I had a difficult time last year because of that very thing. I lost a very dear friendship because of it too. So, I applaud you and your decisions.