16 February 2006

Watching the Olympics

I love the Olympics. Maybe someday I'll actually buy tickets and go, but I have to be honest, a lot of the events seem like they're better viewed on television.

I'm more a fan of the Summer games than the Winter, partly because I grew up in Florida, but partly also because a lot of the Winter games just don't seem like they're much fun. Figure skating, for example. I don't ever get the feeling that the competitors are having any fun. They seem relieved when it's over, but that's sort of like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop; not really a great way to spend your time. Figure skating is the winter version of gymnastics, another sport whose competitors I don't imagine are really enjoying themselves. Then there are the cross-country skiing events, winter's version of the marathon, an event that to me seems the farthest possible thing from fun.

Bobsled and luge, as you might imagine, have always been my favorite events, because they just seem like so much fun. Speed is inherently fun, at least to me. Add to that list ski jumping, which combines speed with flying through the air, also inherently fun. Alpine skiing seems like it could be fun, once you stop falling down all the time, but I think if I ever find myself in a ski-intensive area I'd like to try ski jumping. You can keep the downhill stuff.

Earlier this week I watched women's 3000m speed skating. This looked... well, it looked exhausting, but rowing is exhausting and I enjoy rowing. Speed skating off the short track is amazingly graceful, just beautiful to watch. If I ever go to a Winter Olympics this is an event I'll have to see. I'd like to try it, but the last time I ice skated there was a lot of blood involved and I really don't belong on the ice.

Tonight we got to see Snowboard Cross (Snbdx?). Now, this looked fun. It looked like all the snowboarding X-Box and Playstation games we play during deployments--really, a lot like those games: multiple people, varied course. Of course, there was no riding along downed trees or flying off cliffs, but within the limits of reality this was pretty close. The guys competing in it seemed like they were having fun doing it, and watching them, I don't see how you couldn't.

3 comments:

scanime said...

Seeing some of those snowboarders get air in the halfpipe just makes me want to shout, "Suuuuper Uuuuuber!" But then Tiffany would look at me funny. Funnier than usual, that is.

I like more of the events in the Winter Olympics, I think. I like figure skating, darn it. Then there's snowboarding, bobsledding, luge, and most of the skiing events.

But I have yet to figure out curling.

Ayzair said...

I'm so glad other people like the Olympics! The media keeps talking about how its ratings suck, but I love 'em. And I love figure skating -- just hate how NBC shows you the really crappy people right away and makes you wait until 10:30 for anyone slightly decent. Did you know I once took skating lessons? Stop it. Stop laughing. STOP IT!

Of course, ice dancing, which is on right now, is absurdly boring, which is why I'm up here on the computer.

Rambling Speech said...

How are we friends???? I loved the ice dancing-- well, the good ones anyway. After saying that, I really didn't get to watch much of if because a friend of mine called and talked with me for 2 hours.

For some reason the olympics did not capture me this year-- and they usually do. I can't figure out if it's because I missed opening ceremonies or because I'm just not watching much TV these days. Whatever the reason, I just can't get into it this year...