21 February 2006

Snoring

If anybody gets the title to this post I want to know about it. It is so esoteric I'm not even sure if I get it.

Anyway. A few last tidbits. Sadly, once American Idol was done, the Olympics were back to figure skating. Blah. I'm going to go read shortly. But I did vote: I voted for Mandisa (a little young to be going only by one name, but whatever), and for Melissa McGhee, because she's from Tampa. I've been trying to vote for the clear star of the night, Paris Bennett, but the lines are jammed. Which means, ultimately, that Paris is getting loads of votes and doesn't need one from me. Good for her.

I hope that tomorrow night I'll have the same problem trying to vote for Taylor Hicks. But if not I'll just keep voting repeatedly until the system locks me out. Thanks to my good friend Scanime I discovered that Mr. Hicks already has an album available--and I'm thinking the American Idol voters may like him more than I initially feared because apparently the CDs are selling like hotcakes (actually, I've never noticed that hotcakes sell all that well; the CDs are selling like cheap beer before the Superbowl) and you have to wait two weeks before you can get one. You can download three of the tracks off the CD, and they're great. And, the Laser's Edge CD company that makes the CD is in no way affiliated with the RIAA; it seems Taylor Hicks doesn't have a record contract, just a record. You can buy a copy with a clear conscience. I already did; it's still too expensive for a CD, but what the hell.

And on a totally unrelated topic, I got a phone call from UVA tonight. They were just paying a friendly call, to see if I had any questions and make sure I knew about the upcoming student weekends. I asked about the schedule for Friday the 7th, since I intend to go to UVA for the weekend but will have to fly out of Charlottesville and into Clemson on the 7th (which, ahem, happens to be my birthday. I'll be 28 again.) and wanted to know what I'd miss (not anything too important, was the verdict).

I asked about deferment. I explained that my status with the Air Force was uncertain and I may not know anything solid until too late to make a firm commitment. The admissions counselor (the guy who called me with the news that I'd been accepted) said if I paid my initial deposit ($500), then in June I could pay my second deposit (probably a lot more than $500) and at that point I have only to tell them whether I intend to enroll this fall or in 2007. So getting the deferment is easy. What more it means I don't know, but at least I know that. This does mean I can't realistically ask for a deferment from more than one school, or at least that's my suspicion. But I still have a whole month to think about this, and then some.

7 comments:

Lucky Bob said...

Hmm. I would guess it's because, as my radio station said this morning, one of the judges accused "this Stevie girl" of putting him to sleep. I don't remember who the judge was for sure.

Oh and I thought they were selling fast because they were hot cakes rather than pancake hotcakes. As in they were fresh or even of the stolen variety, especially if the saying stems from the great depression era. Kind of like the line "She was hotter than a $2 pistol," refering to the pistol being stolen or involved in illegal activity.

scanime said...

We also made a lot of use of the remote control last night, switching between American Idol and the Olympics. Didn't vote, though. I'll definitely be doing that tomorrow for Taylor Hicks. I'm not sure if he's going to make it the whole way or not... but the way his CDs are selling, I'd say that he's definitely liked, and he's definitely getting a much-needed increase in popularity.

Ayzair said...

Be 29 and proud! You're a guy, age doesn't mean that much -- you get to be distinguished! So embrace that approaching-30-ness! -- and remember that I'll always be younger :)

Unknown said...

Nope, I'll be turning 28. Again. Also next year, too.

Oh, for the record:

No posts for a week, then three in a night: when it rains, it pours.
It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is

Snoring.

Does it work? No. But it just came to me in a flash and I didn't feel like thinking of another title.

Lucky Bob said...

Dang I thought I reached for some of my titles. You have thrown down the gauntlet.

scanime said...

I liked the idea of turning 29. However, I think I'll turn 29 again next year. So next year, I'll be celebrating the first anniversary of my 29th birthday. :)

Rambling Speech said...

Ditto on scanime's comment. This coming birthday will be my last. From then on, it's anniversaries until about 80-- then you gotta start bragging about how old you are at bingo.