16 November 2005

Doggie love

Here's an article from Bay News 9 about how dogs can improve the health of heart patients. It's the second story on the page.

Last night I watched Bay News 9 while I ate dinner--which I started eating around 9, after getting home at 8'30 following a 13-hour day--and they had the dog story on as I sat down. It reminded me of something I noticed around Christmas of 2003.

My grandmother was suffering from congestive heart failure then, and was in an extended care facility at the retirement community she'd lived in for some years. My folks and I went up to visit over Christmas (actually drove north on Christmas Day), as I was to deploy in the first week of January and would probably not get to visit her again. Because of the short notice trip we brought the family dog along rather than boarding her at the kennel.

The retirement community, including the hospital, had always had fairly liberal policies about dogs, and we brought the dog in. I don't believe I've ever witnessed such a sudden and visible change in people's attitudes than when we walked through that care facility with the dog. These were people near the end of their lives, but when they saw Dixie coming every one of them was six years old again.

"Can I pet her?" "That's a nice doggy." "Such a pretty girl." And so on. Some of the nurses remarked that they'd like to see somebody bring in a dog every day, just to make folks happy for a few minutes.

I don't have a dog myself, and Dixie passed away a year or so ago. But I still remember the effect she had on those folks; it's nice to see a study verifying that. For liability reasons I doubt local hospitals would be keen on folks just wandering in with their dogs, but it would sure be nice if we could find a safe way to bring this little bit of joy into peoples' lives--and if it actually has health benefits to boot, so much the better.


2 comments:

scanime said...

I've seen a similar news item like that a year or so ago. A group was bringing in cats and dogs into retirement homes, and it was shown to have a very positive effect. Most dogs (and some cats) are more than willing to show how much they care about whoever's petting them.

Lucky Bob said...

My godparents bought a miniature dachshund about a year ago. I will attest first hand how it can affect a couple of retirement age. Even my godmother’s mother and godfather’s brother loved to see Heidi running around and hold her in their laps.

I think part of it is having to keep up with an energetic animal. I know personally that sometimes to get over lethargy and tiredness I just have to make myself get up and do something. My Dad was 40 when my brother was born. Around 48 he told me that the secret to feeling young is surrounding yourself with people who feel young. He said he always felt the age of my brother’s friend's parents, even though they were ten+ years younger than him. It’s also good to have the stimulation of someone that only wants attention and food.

I was reading something that was describing how humans are basically domesticated animals. We are fatter, herd animals, low tempered, and have varied hair coloration. Domesticated animals feel better with other animals, pets especially. With the limited interaction at most of the care facilities I’ve seen is it any wonder the people brighten at something that seeks interaction without fear or judgment.

If you are really interested, check around. There may be a therapy dogs program around that you might be able to help with. It might do you as much good as the residents.