17 July 2005

A Variety of Minor Updates

1. Regular readers may have been somewhat surprised by my reticence following Chief Justice Rehnquist's statement Thursday night that he is not, in fact, planning to retire any time soon.

Partly this was because I already expected it. Partly, it's because I didn't even learn of it until about 24 hours after it actually happened. Though I did have an exceedingly bizarre dream Thursday night, in which I met and chatted with the Chief Justice for quite some time. At some point I simply ran off to follow somebody else, and the dream drifted off in other, work-related directions for a while, until I happened to bump into the Chief again later to continue our discussion.

What annoys me is I'm sure the Chief had some important words of wisdom for me about a legal career, but I can't remember what they were. He seemed to be in remarkably good health, though--and was rather put off that I ran off in the midst of our conversation (he forgave me, though).

Five more brief and vitally important updates after the jump.


2. The pottery sale went well, at least on Saturday. I didn't go in on Sunday; had other things to do (which, remarkably, I've done all but one of). I sold eight pieces Saturday, among them the red bowl, the folded bowl, and both cockroach traps (which sold in the first hour). Clearly I could have sold a dozen roach traps, if not more. I shall be making a goodly number of those in the near future. I am also now taking commissions if anybody wants anything in particular.

3. I learned something interesting this weekend. I would like to buy a Floyd Red Crow Westerman album; but apparently such purchases send up a red flag during U.S. Government background security clearance checks. Hmm.

4. As I've noted in comments earlier, I've narrowed my law school search. I expect to definitely apply to Stetson, Cal-Berkeley, Georgetown, and Virginia. I'm going to visit George Washington and Washington & Lee to see about them. I'm also going to apply to one of Tennessee, FSU, Georgia State, and UNC. And I'm keeping Texas and Hawai'i in my back pocket if I get a wild notion at some point. I mean, seriously. Hawai'i. Who wouldn't want to go to school there? Aside from Texas, Hawai'i, and Berkeley, I plan to visit all those schools, so if you live near one tell me so I can crash with you.

5. Finally, a brief update on everybody's favorite heel, Scott Maddox. Seems Scottie is engaging in some murky fundraising practices that, while technically legal by Florida law, are nonetheless banned by the state Democratic Party. That's right. The former head of the state party is openly and unabashedly violating the bylaws of the party. Yeehaw. He's also still running the Leon County Democratic Party like its his own personal fiefdom and money machine. I can't wait to see what ideas he has for our state's budget problems...

Maddox is proof of Carl Hiaasen's axiom that shit always runs downhill, and Florida is as low as you can get.

6. Surprising even the most idealistic of pundits, I actually went to church this weekend. I'm not normally a fan of contemporary services, though it's been so long since I attended church regularly I'm not sure how much that matters. This morning, however, the church had a West Indian praise band playing called Mo' Than Conquerers. Now this, this I could handle every Sunday. Yeah, I'd miss hymns, eventually... but I think a little reggae-inspired praise music is just what I needed. If you're not keen on typical contemporary worship music, you would very much enjoy these folks.

They're a Tampa-based band, though all members are from the Virgin Islands (you know, one of those accents you could listen to forever?). The church had CDs available in their bookstore after the service, and at ten bucks I couldn't resist. But alas, I was too late. I think everybody at the service tried to buy one. One of the ministers said she thought they'd be able to sell a few hundred if the band pressed some more discs. Rest assured I'll be checking the bookstore after church every week. If you happen to hear that these folks are coming to play a church near you, you really must go see them.

No comments: