11 July 2005

Law Schools

Okay, so today at work using an exhaustive list of numerous criteria, I narrowed down my law school search. Now, you may ask how the following list of 22 schools constitutes “narrowing down,” but considering that I started with about 100, I think I did pretty good. And several of these will drop off the list very quickly. Plus there’s the little matter of, er, strategery, when it comes to applying. Since the AF gets to pick where I go, I have to choose wisely when applying. I’d enjoy going to FSU. I’m sure it would be a good school. But I also strongly suspect that if I applied to FSU, the AF would tell me to go to FSU because it’s very inexpensive. So my safety school, as it were, may well be not very safe at all. We’ll see.

Here’s the list. Please make comments, make fun of a school, or suggest one.
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Washington & Lee, Lexington VA
University of Texas, Austin
Boalt Hall, University of California, Berkeley
The George Washington University, DC
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa

University of Virginia, Charlottesville
Emory University, Atlanta
Florida State University, Tallahassee
Georgia State University, Atlanta
Georgetown University, DC

Stanford University, Stanford CA
American University Washington School of Law, DC
University of Wyoming, Laramie
George Mason University, Arlington VA
University of Hawai’i at Manoa Richardson School of Law, Oahu
Lewis & Clark School of Law, Portland
Stetson University, Tampa & St. Petersburg
University of William & Mary, Williamsburg VA
University of Mississippi, Oxford
University of South Carolina, Columbia

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to go to some really good parties at Ole Miss in Oxford, when I went to MSU. If you like drinking and dislike black people it's a great town, otherwise I'd avoid it.

Ayzair said...

Of course, I would prefer USC, strictly because then at least two of my close friends would be within a couple hours drive, or perhaps UNC, probably the better name and network, since you'd have to pass through me to get to Atlanta ... I always have your best interests at heart!

Unknown said...

I've narrowed the list down somewhat now. You'll be happy to know UNC is still on it. Mississippi dropped off. It's sort of funny, Mississippi is actually not the least-diverse of the schools on my list. That award belongs to (collective gasp) Alabama. South Carolina, Virginia, and George Mason fill out the bottom five.

My rankings use a collection of variables. I rank the schools against one another and then average the ranks, weighting them for importance. North Carolina comes out on top even when I make changes to the formula. I'd normally not really consider UNC, but it IS number one.

Anonymous said...

Yale, Penn, and Duke don't fit your criteria?

Unknown said...

I never considered Yale. Clintons, you know. Actually, I applied to Yale for undergrad and would be more likely to go to Yale than Harvard, but Yale offers something like 1.2% of their students grants--and the AF won't pay Yale's tuition without a hefty grant. My scores are good, but not that good. So Yale had no chance. I considered Penn and Duke, but for a variety of reasons both dropped off the list; Duke for cost and, I'll admit, because Duke is ground zero for protests against the Solomon Amendment, and I don't feel a military man would be welcome there. Penn's cost and grant ratio is very bad, and I'd just as lief stay far, far away from Philadelphia. Just a personal preference.

The list has grown much shorter of late; I should repost.

Anonymous said...

Definately can see your point on all those. Cost at Yale and location with Penn... very valid concerns. You raise a very interesting point about Duke. I'll definately be watching to see what you decide.