23 May 2005

Howard Dean speaks

And he does it without screaming or saying anything embarassing. I want to highlight this one comment he made toward the end of his interview with Tim Russert on Meet The Press. Many people were somewhat shocked when Dean was elected to head the Democratic party (said Newt Gingrich, "The Democrats must have a death wish."), but as long as he keeps sounding as smart as he is, rather than as dumb as Joe Trippi wants him to be, I think he'll be very good for the party.

I don't really have any comments to add to this quote, other than that I quite agree with the good doctor.

"I don't go to church all that much. I consider myself a deeply religious person. I consider myself a Christian. And I don't--you know, some of the other Christians would dare to say that I'm not a Christian. Frankly, it's what gets my ire up. We get back to the Rush Limbaugh stuff. I am sick of being told what I and what I'm not by other people. I'll tell you what I am. I'm a committed Christian. And the fact of whether I go to church or not, people can say whether I should or shouldn't, I worship in my own way. It came out in the campaign that I pray every night. That's my business. That's not the business of the pharisees who are going to preach to me about what I do and then do something else.

"You know, I care about values a lot. And one of the reasons that I care a lot is because of my upbringing. And it was a--I grew up in a Christian household. Now, because I grew up--I'm a congregationalist. People say, 'Well, those are liberals.' Well, since when do Christians get tagged liberal or conservative? You either believe in the teachings of Jesus or you don't. I do. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I don't go around wearing it on my sleeve. And I think that's a private matter. And I'm happy to talk about it. I've been through a political campaign. There are a lot of folks to whom, you know, that's very important. I respect that. But I'm not going to be lectured to about my own private morality and my own private business by people who don't have the moat taken out of their own eye."

1 comment:

Lucky Bob said...

Aw man I missed that. And it looks like it was pretty good too. I'm going to have to peruse the transcript.

Transcript

Something about hearing people in goverment speak in a levelheaded fashion calms me.