29 May 2005

French Vote No! EU Constitution Doomed!

Not that I care, although actually I do. Feel free to ask me why, but expect a 10 to 20 day turnaround and about a 10,000 word essay in response.

I do think it's very interesting that just two months ago I read in Foreign Affairs that the consequences of a British no vote might tear the EU asunder. At that point I guess nobody thought the French would actually vote no. Next to vote are the Dutch, where polling has shown very similar numbers to the French numbers in the week prior to the vote. The Dutch "No" campaign, emboldened by a French no, is almost certain to succeed next week. The UK doesn't even vote until next year; by that time there will probably have been three or four additional no votes, probably including Denmark and Poland.

Anyway, just news.

3 comments:

Lucky Bob said...

So, I'm a little confused. Is the French no vote more likely or less likely to make the British vote no?

Anyway, I'll wait for the ginormous essay.

Unknown said...

Assuming they even bother to vote, this pretty much assures a no.

Lucky Bob said...

That's what I figured you meant. Part of me wondered if it might be like a club, and not having the French there would make the British more likely to join.

Anyway, people have been trying to unite Europe for millennia. I was going to be really amazed if they pulled off something this big without a lot of false starts or bloodshed.