24 July 2006

Me, work? No no, you must have me confused with someone else

So I got up at five-fifteen this morning, had some breakfast, and went to work. There are, as I've mentioned, three SWOs. However, since there are three brand new SWOs, there are in fact more like five or six total. Two of them are leaving next weekend on the rotator, going home after four and six months, respectively. The third is just starting his third month, and will move into a new job once us three new guys are trained.

What this means is that, when I went in to work, there were in fact four people there doing the same job. This was… this was very strange. Military work is all about being a replaceable cog in a very big wheel ("People are fungible," as our esteemed DOD Secretary said some years back), but it's rare that you have this fact presented to you in such stark terms as I saw this morning. Four people. One job. Granted, three of us were in training, and the fourth was only there to see that we got it. But it was a very strange situation. I think I did two things of consequence all morning, and calling them "of consequence" is a stretch of utterly absurd proportions.

Still, I got to see at least a bit of what us SWOs will be doing. It ain't much. Prepping two main powerpoint briefings, and staying on top of aircraft and ground movements; beyond that there don't seem to be a great deal of weighty tasks. Our trainer this morning noted that, while he's been working morning shift, he generally ran out of things to do around 10. That would be the four-hour point in an eight-hour shift. I dearly hope this isn't actually the case, because that's what happens at work normally (actually, normally I do less than four hours of work a day, but that's another matter) and I came out here to do something more… constructive. I don't know. I'm trying not to pre-judge the situation because regardless of what it is I'll have four months of it. We'll see.

And, too, I may not work the morning shift. Perhaps there's more work in the evening and night shifts. The training program for the job consists of stopping in at three morning, three evening, and three night shifts; I did a morning shift today and will go back for an evening shift tonight around six, after going to the gym and having some dinner. I may find the afternoon shift is busier. I sort of hope so.

On the bright side, this afternoon I finished chapter 79 and started on chapter 80. 80! The real climax occurs in the 80s (this is why I plan to cut significant parts of the 90s). I feel like I'm on the home stretch here. If I keep getting an hour or two during the day to write, I may be able to finish this thing in just a couple weeks.

Still no word on the missing bag. I had to take my laundry in this afternoon because I am out of boot socks entirely. I don't feel like buying any more until I know whether the bag has arrived, but then I don't feel like wearing ankle socks in boots any more, either. I want my tea, too, and the lamp. Also, at the risk of offending Lucky Bob, I should point out that Book 2 in the Sir Apropos of Nothing series is also in the missing bag. Since I finished Book 1 this afternoon, I'm hoping the bag arrives but soon.

And now I'm off to the gym, because if I'm only going to be doing four hours of work a day I might as well work out and at least feel like I've exerted some effort during the day. At least being here will probably be good for my health, if nothing else.

5 comments:

Ayzair said...

Remember, if you ever need an editor, I work cheap!

Lucky Bob said...

Dang, take away your girlfriend and we just can't shut you up can we. I got most of my stuff moved into the new digs by the way. I have a lot of stuff. Oh and I was wondering if the books might be in that bag. No problem, except that I know you want to read the next one. And this delay will make them last longer. Stay cool.

Unknown said...

Aye, cheap, that's good. Actually, my plan for the book is as follows:

1. Finish it.
2. Set it aside and work on a short story or two.
3. Pick it up around maybe the first of September and read through it once, then do some editting to it.
4. Send copies of it to three or four people who want to edit. Since you've said you work cheap, you'll get a copy. And maybe Brad can read it, too. I have other people in mind for editors but I'll broach that subject when the time comes.
5. Get comments and suggestions back from my editors and incorporate them into a final edit.
6. Come home in December and start trying to figure out how to publish the thing.

So yeah, that's the goal. I said I wasn't going to put it to a timeline, but the fact is I've had the timeline in my head for a while now so I might as well write it down. We'll see how it goes.

And Lucky Bob, congrats on mostly moving in. That's got to be a nice feeling. I might have to drop by for an evening on my way to the wedding in December.
I actually had all three books in separate places. I brought the first one with me, which I started reading on the plane and finished recently. I put the second one in my checked baggage, since I figured I'd want to read it once I arrived but wouldn't need it on the plane. And I put the third one in the box of books I mailed to myself the day before I left.
There's a rumor that the Air Kenya agent called the office yesterday morning to say I could pick up my bag today, but we haven't been able to contact him to verify that. I'm going to get a car and go out there tomorrow. It would be highly amusing if the third book happened to arrive before the second one...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I couldn't leave a comment successfully yesterday. I'll try again today. You get the thoughts from all your latest posts in one comment. Condensed is good, right?
-I'm glad your actual transport concluded safely. How the trip managed to be monotonous AND eventful, I don't know, but I guess that's explained by total number of hours spent making it. The whole thing must have been really frustrating, considering you know how to fly yourself.
-Ice cream on demand? That sounded like suspiciously like the one positive thing I can recall from my tonsillectomy.
-It really is amazing to get to read these accounts as they're happening, from so far away, in your blog. Of course, I am sometimes amazed by light bulbs, when I think about them, so you can take my awe for what it's worth =)

Rambling Speech said...

As a temporary member of the "done with a 8 hour shift in 4 hours" club, I caution you against over achievement. Take your time over menial tasks. Linger over the monotonous tasks of the day.

Unless of course you can bug out when work is done. Knowing the military, they'll probably have you sitting around after work is done.

And keep reminding yourself that there will be times in life where job is hectic and way too fast.

I'm not enjoying my work slowness. But it will pass. Take joy in the details. Yeah, I labeled folders today- just for the fun of it dammit.

Glad you made it in safely. Here's hoping your bag finds its way back to you!