23 July 2006

It Burns

Computers have the capacity to frustrate me almost beyond anything else. This evening I took my laptop over the computer help desk people to have them clear it so I could connect it to the base network here at the MWR tent (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation). This is a fairly simple matter; it took them just a few minutes to do it and that was that. And so I came over here to the MWR tent to plug in.

And I've been plugged in, now, for close to half an hour. I still can't get the thing to connect. I plug the cable in. The computer tells me that it is in fact connected to a local network at 100 Mbps. But Firefox can't find a single page. Eudora can't check the mail. Nothing will work. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting every piece of network hardware this computer has, I've clicked repair connection, I've shut it down and restarted it. Nothing.

This is extremely frustrating. It's the moreso because earlier this evening when I tried to call home I couldn't get through. Every number I tried was either busy or disconnected—even the MacDill number just sent me to the router al Udeid, where a recorded voice told me my connection was not available. Nothing. No way to contact the outside world. Aggravating in the extreme? You bet. The fact that I can't take the computer back to the network guys until tomorrow at 7 pm? Even more aggravating.

Time to go take a shower and go to bed.

No comments: