17 July 2006

Counting Down

I've got the mail taken care of. My bills are all prepaid or on hold. My magazine subscriptions have been forwarded.
I've got a power converter. I've copied most of my CDs to my hard drive. I've made backup copies of all my writing, and multiple backups of Lauderdale.
The uniforms are pressed, folded, and ready to go. I'm mostly packed--just a handful of last-minute items.
I've outprocessed the hospital. I've picked up all my required gear from the base. I know a little about what to expect over there, and I have a contact out there.
I have the tickets. I have my orders.

I've never wanted to leave less in my entire life.

Smittygirl mentioned the other day that I should write a book about how to leave. I'm pretty good at it, generally. I've left a lot of things--jobs, towns, schools, friends--and even though I don't think it's possible to get to be an expert in such a thing, I could probably write a book like that. It's something to think about. Except... I don't want to leave.

I guess it was inevitable; I had to reach a point eventually from which I wouldn't want to leave. Funny thing, though--I actually want to leave. But I want to leave my job, not the rest of my life. Going to Africa gets me away from my current job without really getting me away from my job. It's the rest of my life--Smittygirl especially--that I don't want to leave right now. I suppose this experience makes the book about leaving that much better.

But I still don't want to leave.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the countdown has not hit an unforseen pitfall thus far. You do sound quite prepared! Sorry the timing, as it turned out, sucks. Good luck tomorrow! *waves*

Ayzair said...

So did she pick Smittygirl on her own or have you just dubbed her as such for convenience? Oh, if she reads this, Hello! Can't wait to meet you!

Rambling Speech said...

Good luck in your new digs smitty-think of the adventure! Don't be stupid and don't get dead-- those are the rules and I expect that you follow them.

And a shout out to Smittygirl if she reads this- distance makes the heart grow fonder, right? right? nah, that's a urban myth. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Actually, Smittygirl only reads this occasionally, but I must encourage her to do so fairly frequently while I am away. I picked the name; she is free to change it, but since I don't use my real name or any of yours... well, anyway.

Thanks for the good wishes! Keep me in your prayers!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Smittygirl quite likes her nickname, if she does say so herself. It makes me sound like a superhero! And yes, your email from earlier this morning has succeeded in encouraging me to peruse your blog more frequently. Miss you!!!

(Oh, and hello back to all of you! Can't wait to meet you all either!)