23 July 2006

Climate

It was 110 degrees today. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 112. I went in to the office today, such as it is, and sat at a computer for about an hour, and was able to witness the 1700 briefing, although I basically didn't understand anything that was going on at the briefing. Lots of people said things, though. This would be about the first briefing I've attended in the military was called a briefing and yet did not include Powerpoint. Refreshing.

I had gone in after spending almost all day doing nothing at all because I wanted to make sure my computer login was all settled. I also took the opportunity to prefile a travel voucher for the over $4000 it cost me to get over here, between the plane ticket and excess baggage fees.

I also checked the climate reports. Evidently, the hottest it's been all year so far is 116, which was earlier this month. July is in fact the hottest month; the average high is 102, while in August it's only 101. The max recorded temperature in all three months is 116, though, so I imagine things will stay pretty toasty for a while. By November, though, the highs are only around 90, which will no doubt feel positively chilly to me by then. The winds switch around to the east by then, though, so the humidity will be a lot higher. Joy!

In other news, I've started Chapter 79. The end is close! And that really is a source of joy.

No comments: