07 July 2008

Celebrate the weekend, too

I see I've been chastised for taking a little break...
Well, only fair. I actually did have celebrations for the 5th and 6th, but I was out of town and away from the computer. Actually I'm glad Rambling prompted me because I really like the one for the 6th.

July 5:
Dolly the sheep, the first mammal cloned from an adult, was born in 1996. Hooray for cloning! Or not. Depending on your point of view this could be cause for celebration or cause for a wake. Either way you could get drunk. (And since Dolly was Scottish, getting drunk seems the only reasonable celebration at all, unless you like haggis.)

July 6:
On this date in 1978, British-Maltese peace activist Yana Mintoff hurled three bags of horse manure onto the floor of the House of Commons to protest British military involvement in Northern Ireland. I don't know how this protest was supposed to fix anything, but what the hell. Somebody threw a sack of shit into Parliament. That's funny.

No comments: