07 May 2007

Oh &@#!, It's Mr. Creosote!

It smelled like creosote outside my office window today. As an appreciator of the railroads, I actually kind of like the smell of creosote (it's the oil railroad ties are coated with to weatherproof them, a very characteristic smell). But still, there is not now nor has there ever been a railroad anywhere near my workplace. I understand they sometimes use creosote to coat phone poles with, but again, no new phone poles in my vicinity, either. Kind of a weird random smell in the middle of the day.

But it's nice to notice the smell at all. For the first day in two weeks it's actually pleasant outside. The last two weeks have been like early summer—highs close to 90, high humidity, and especially last week an absurd amount of smoke and haze in the air because most of Florida and large parts of Georgia are on fire. Bottom line, this is the first day in a couple weeks I've had the window open at work. It's as close as I can get to working outside.

No comments: