07 March 2006

Swampward Ho!

All good things must come to end, including the vacation I'm about to embark on tomorrow. But the vacation must also start, and I've been looking forward to it for a long time. I'm heading down to the Everglades for a few days of hiking, biking, kayaking, and quite probably lounging by the pool. I may post while I'm down there, but I may not, either. If not, I'll be back on Sunday.

So, okay, I'm watching American Idol, as you would assume. Show's just over half over (that sounded funny), and I have only one comment.
Katherine McPhee thought she could do Aretha Franklin's "Think." And the judges all went gaga.
Give me a freaking break. She didn't do that song any time little amount of justice, not one bit. Let's see Mandisa do the same song, and then you'll see the stage actually come alive. Of all the girls so far tonight (five of eight), this has been the most disappointing performance. Ugh.
And now a few more have performed, including Mandisa, who received I think the greatest compliment I've heard from Simon Cowell, ever: "You made every one of the other women who have performed before you seem ordinary--you are in a whole different league." I couldn't agree more, Mr. Cowell.

Anyway. Banner night over at the clay studio tonight. Pictures will be forthcoming next time I head back there. Even though nothing is glazed--and most stuff is just dry, not even bisqued--there are some items there you need to see before I glaze them (just in case I wreck them with the glazing). Tonight, I finished a martini shaker. No, really, a martini shaker. The lid fits better than any lid I have ever made. The lid itself is one of the best works of art I've made in the last year. Really. It's beautiful. I want to glaze it a nice shiny black with blue highlights... if I can figure out how to do that. You'll see when I post the pictures. I also finished up a couple of funky vases with amusing necks, and I made a second latte mug to go with the one I made earlier. They could be a matched set, even. If the commissioning agent wants them both, of course...

Yes, it was a grand day. And tomorrow shall be better still.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip! Don't get eaten by anything =)

Ayzair said...

Uh, is that commision bit about me? Sure, I'll take two! We have five trillion mugs, of course, but you can never have too many!

I'm also on my way vacationward, also to Florida. Guess which part? Unfortunately, I have a raging sinus infection, and Abbey has a cold, so this should be a truly interesting plane ride.

Ayzair said...

Okay, I went back to look at your last pot posting, and no, that's not me. But I still love that pitcher!

Anonymous said...

A martini shaker? That's awesome! Great idea!

Enjoy your vacation. I, personally, am looking forward to pics(?).