14 December 2005

*Cough, Cough* Back from the Dead, Again?

I am writing to you now from a shiny new computer, which I've bought to replace my somewhat scratched and dirty old computer, but which I thought would work for me for at least another few months. Sadly, the old Compaq has given up the ghost at long last. In fact, it did so last week, on Wednesday afternoon. It hasn't been willing to accept a battery charge since then.

I ordered this computer on Thursday, from Newegg.com. It's an Acer TravelMate. I got five years out of my previous Acer computer, and then my folks got another year or two after that if I recall, so I'm hoping for at least four years from this machine. Let's all cross our fingers.

The new machine arrived on Monday. Tonight I hooked it up to the internet for the first time. Yaay! Internet access from home! Oh, wait. I have internet access all day at work. All I can't do at work is... well, post to this blog (or read anything on any blogger blog), and check my standard email address.

Anyway. I'm busy recreating my bookmarks list, but I wanted to announce my return to the blog, and apologize to both of my loyal readers for my absence.


3 comments:

Ayzair said...

Wondered what had happened. Smitty and Dunce falling silent in the same week, it was unnerving.

SMITTY said...

Whats up Smitty,

I searched for any fellow bloggers with the name smitty. I like your stuff man...especially the books you are reading. keep it up...i'll visit often.

Unknown said...

No, I think that's four readers now. Yeehaw! And it's nice to have Smitty on board. I reckon a link to Smitty City will probably show up on the blogroll soon; Peter over at dot Bench seems to have disappeared (as has dot Bench itself) and the space needs to be filled with a blog that actually, you know, exists. And it's pretty good, too.

You see, Kelly, the thing is, I fear change. I didn't want to go to a Mac because, although I assume a windoze box will break in about two years, at least I know what will go wrong and what to do about it (burn some incense and say a short prayer, mostly). With a Mac, I don't even know what fonts are available. The last time I worked with a Mac was at the paper in Fort Lauderdale and I remember all the screen fonts loking exactly like Tahoma. Ugh. I didn't even try out a powerbook at a store or anything. Just don't want to bother. What if I can't transfer my old documents over easily? What if all sorts of things? I have enough ambiguity and change in my life. I want my new computer to work like the old one did, except without all the problems.

Are you going be able to come over to Atlanta for New Years?