19 December 2005

Bored, Lazy, and Under Duress

No, no, I haven't disappeared again. I've just been incredibly lazy about posting here. There's a lot going on in my life these days, which I'll get to in due time.

An eventful year is drawing to a close. Recent news has caused me to expect next year will be quite a bit more eventful. And the year after that? Well, I'm not sure when it's going to end, exactly. I was immensely bored at work today. But my life is far from boring.

Lately I've been thinking about last winter. This time a year ago I was in Kyrgyzstan, and it was really winter. It never really gets to be winter here. We've had a few days of cool drear, and it's been a welcome change from the bright sunshine. I like the dreary weather. It puts me in a pensive mood, and right now I just want to be in that mood. It's even better after dark.

The Cheesegrater building, 400 North Ashley (usually called the Beer Can, but it really looks like a cheese grater), has recently added some sort of outdoor art to its north wall. This part of the building used to be the bank lobby, but now I don't know who even rents space in the building. Lights go on and off in it on the 26th floor or so every night, for no good reason. Usually when I look at it, it's red. But right now, I'm watching as it transitions from red to blue. Here are pictures of it in red and blue. In the blue pic, you can see the other building that lights up the night, the SunTrust tower and its lighted Mayan pyramid, green and red for the season.


I enjoy this view. I enjoy it all the more on nights when the clouds are low and heavy, reflecting back the light from the city. A night like this, the city is smaller, closer. It's mine.
If the weather was like this all the time, I'd never leave Tampa. But it isn't.




2 comments:

scanime said...

If you wanted more winter, I'd have saved you some of the ice storm.

But I still would like a white Christmas.

Unknown said...

You can complain about your ice storm all you want, but we had four hurricanes last year. No place has perfect weather, but I like a white Christmas, too--and I don't mean the new paint on the walls in my office.