20 June 2005

So much to do

So little time.

I had some time to think on Sunday driving home from Orange Park. It was the standard drive; I could probably make it in my sleep and suspect that I may actually do so from time to time considering how many miles I've put on the car the last two years (26,932 since June 23 of 2003). So while I drive I tend to think.

One thing I thought about was how many of the people I had hoped to see at the reunion who didn't actually show up. In fact, I think most of the people I had hoped to see didn't show up. And one of the people I had most hoped to see and who did show up and who I spent most of the night with... um... well, it wasn't all I had hoped for. But I suppose my hopes were modestly unrealistic.

I'd love to try to get together with many of those folks. A lot of the no-shows actually still live in the Jacksonville area so it wouldn't be hard--it might even be possible to have a reunion of sorts, at a place like Dave & Busters, where people wouldn't have to spend $91 just to get in the door and then have to endure a cash bar (seriously! A cash bar at $91-a-ticket event! Even politicians don't have the gall to try that) and outrageously loud music. But finding the time to coordinate such an event while holding down a job is very difficult, especially considering the numerous other things I have on my plate these days.

I guess I shouldn't complain. I'm being pushed to crank out as much work as I can at the pottery studio in advance of our big summer sale in mid-July. Oh no! Don't twist my arm! And I've shamed myself into reconnecting with the novel that has seen little progress since I started on the medication back in April. I even went out and bought voice-recognition software so I wouldn't put so much stress on my right hand, which has been consistently painful for about the last month. Between these two time consumers I'm constantly trying to find time just to go on bike rides and go kayaking so I don't go mad from being cooped up indoors. And though I've had great intentions, I've as yet not managed to get myself back into the gym on a regular basis.

Where does the time go? It's not as if I'm trying to do everything at once. I must be wasting an awful lot of time somewhere. My first guess is work. I'm not sure I'm doing anything there that fills me with meaning and happiness. But the thing about work is that's where the money comes from, and I do need money to get by. Hmm.

2 comments:

scanime said...

Re: Reunions

I haven't received anything about a high school reunion. Although I honestly don't know if I would go were I to receive one. I really didn't get to know a whole lot of folks in high school. My more formative years were middle school and college. High school was just three years of change.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I had my high school reunion the week before we went to Utah. It was a lot more fun than I expected. Only a quarter of my class showed as well, but most of the people I really wanted to see were there. (It was also a lot of fun b/c I looked a helluva lot better than I did in HS.) It was good to catch up, see how people had changed, what they had been doing with their life. It felt as if I had just seen some of them yesterday, and would be right back in class with them the next week. 10 years is both a long time and not very at the same time. Weird.