05 April 2005

A post about flying

Or, as the case may be, not flying.
I've been placed on a long-term non-flying profile. So for 60 days I won't be doing any flying.

I'm unsure exactly how I feel about this. In some sense it's relieving, perhaps a step in the right direction. In another sense, it's a significant concern; the profile is required because of medication, medication I'm not entirely comfortable with. And at the same time, it looks like a nice opportunity--for 60 whole days in a row, I know I'm going to come home to my own home every night. If you've never worked a job where that was not a foregone conclusion, you can't really grasp the significance. Rest assured it is a very pleasant prospect.

Regardless of what's coming down the road here, career-wise, I am looking forward to these next 60 days with the hope that I can get on sort of a regular schedule of writing and pottery in the evenings and maybe make some actual progress on these things. We'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote 44 "Stream of consciousness" poems today. Some of them came out really good ....

Anonymous said...

You wrote:

And at the same time, it looks like a nice opportunity--for 60 whole days in a row, I know I'm going to come home to my own home every night. If you've never worked a job where that was not a foregone conclusion, you can't really grasp the significance.

Response:

To my strange mind, always looking for some interesting take on a subject, I think this would be a fascinating essay/ post. What is it like? How does it feel/ has it felt in the past when you left for work for what you thought would be a regular shift and you ended up in Central Asia? Or perhaps that's just my strange mind buzzing on about nothing...

At any rate, I had no idea you did pottery, but that sounds very relaxing. Do you have a potter's wheel in your place so you can have a beer and see the sunset over Tampa while you sculpt (so to speak)? Heather and I could easily bankrupt ourselves at a pottery show (dropped a pretty penny at one for Xmas presents last year), but unfortunatley, we don't make our own.

And, as always, happy writing. Hope your novel is coming along just dandy and your other projects (whatever they may be) are coming along fine as well.

Enjoy your R&R and your trip out yonder.

Anonymous said...

Dan told me right before he left for NZ that he didn't like the way you sounded the last time you guys talked. He thought perhaps it was partly his fault, and at any rate, asked me to look out for you.

Anyway, do you want me to bring anything next weekend (as in, not this weekend but the one after that)?

Anonymous said...

..not entirely comfortable with..

*relates*

really looking fwd. to Utah; bought boots today.