20 June 2006

I'm so Sorry

A week? It's been a week? What the... how did it go a whole week?

Well, anyway. I actually had a post rambling around in my head this morning, based on an event that occurred on my commute this morning. I was going to write it at work, but, like most of the last week, today was busy at work. I'm choosing not to complain about that for now because it's nice to have something to do. However, I'm also fast approaching the point where I'll have plenty to do on my own, preparing for my deployment.

I left some notes so maybe I'll have time to write it tomorrow--although there are still plenty of things to do, things like writing a commendation medal for one of my troops who is separating next month. Shouldn't be too hard.

Air Force writing depresses me. The other day I threw together a few bullets for my LT, who's done a good job this quarter and deserves an award like "CGO of the Quarter." He'll be getting "Pilot of the Quarter" instead, which I think of as a lesser award but it's something, at least (I'll keep my opinions on how the awards were decided to myself). There are like 17 awards for each quarter. Five bullets--little sentence fragments about what somebody did and why they deserve an award. It's not hard. I think it took me about five minutes. And today I was complimented on how wonderful they were.

What? It took me FIVE MINUTES. ANY other supervisor in the squadron could have done the same, but apparently five minutes is too much time to spend writing an awards package for the people who work for you and make you look good. Apparently they're all spending one minute on the project. That's embarassing.

The other day I read about this new air taxi service that's starting up in Florida, called Eclipse Aviation. I thought it would be an awesome place to send a resume to, but it turns out they won't hire pilots with less than 1000 hours of pilot-in-command time. I have, like, 70. Or so. That's the problem with being a copilot. I have well over 1000 hours, but most of them are secondary time. So phooey on them. I'll start my own air taxi service. With blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the air taxi and the blackjack.

I'll write more soon, I swear! At the very least I have books to review.

3 comments:

Rambling Speech said...

It's not that they can't spend the 5 minutes-- it's that what takes you to do in 5 minutes takes them a good hour or so.

Unknown said...

I don't really believe that, though. I may be a good writer, when I have the time to do a second draft, and I may be a brilliant genius. But I work with mostly above-average people. They're quite capable. They just suck.

Anonymous said...

Woooooo Futurama!!!


Also, Dan was here. It was nice, after the first day. He left on Monday. The first day, about, no kidding, ten minutes after we got home, his commander called here because apparently, through no fault of their own, they had taken the jet to the wrong place, and it looked like he'd have to fly back to Kansas and take it where it was supposed to go. Then another of the copilots went and took Dan's place, so he got to stay, but all Thursday we were getting calls asking for Captain Fiedler. Oh well, everything turned out fine in the end. How are you doing?