01 October 2005

Stuff 'n Things (Contents)

I must post! I must provide content!

I don't understand that in the slightest, by the way. What, exactly, is content? I looked in the dictionary, and sure enough, it's a perfectly valid word. But it seems odd. When I see the word "content," I'm thinking of the word pronounced kən·tent, meaning "happy or satisfied". That seems most normal to me.
And when I think about the noun form of the word, meaning "stuff 'n things", I usually think of kon·tents, with an 's' on the end. Am I the only person who thinks of it this way?

Dictionary.com will tell you that in fact content is a perfectly normal word, and even provides a quote of some presumably long-deceased individual named Frederick Turner using the word in a sentence (although the sentence itself is nonsense; how can a generalization be either precise or explicit?) in just the way we use it to describe the contents of our blogs. The blog reader seeks content, not contents.

Why then do I still think of the word "content" in this context the way I think of the word "access" when used as a verb? I hate the idea of accessing things. I don't access information on the hard drive; I have access to the information, but I prefer not to access it. I would much rather collect, procure, requisition, or it some other way get my grubby little mitts on it. Access as a verb seems incestuous; we took the concept of "gain access to" and just dropped the words "gain" and "to." I guess that's efficiency for you; no wonder the usage didn't develop until productivity became the great societal mantra.

I'm doomed to lose this battle, but just as there are separate pronunciations of the word "content" for each part of speech, it seems we should do the same for "access." I think the verb form of that word should be pronounced ak·sess. But then I'd rather not use it at all.

Ah, well. So much for today's content(s).


2 comments:

Ayzair said...

Content is quite the popular word in jouralism world. Web content, local content, graphic content, etc. But then people I work with also call the lead story the "lede" story, which I'm sure has some historical foundation back when presses used hotlead type and other scary things, but I just find it annoying and refuse to do it.

The one verb I despise is grow in the business sense. You grow plants, you don't grow your company. You don't grow profits. Expand, increase, not grow. Growing business just sounds pompous.

Lucky Bob said...

Could a person who owns a tree farm grow his business?
/me ducks flying objects /*me
It's funny cause I have to use access all the time, but I also like read instead of access.
I guess we all have our little language quirks that we hate.