11 March 2005

Vox clamantis in deserto

I'm feeling very lazy and uninspired today. Work kept me busy most of this week but today was not a particular winner and... well, anyway. Here's something to ponder until I'm more energetic.

This article from the Myrtle Beach Sun News discusses Lindsey Graham's recent statements about Social Security. It makes for a worthwhile read, though I'll doubt anything worthwhile will come from it. Like so many rational people in this country, the Sun News' editorial writer here is just a voice shouting in the wilderness. But he's right. What will become of us? Why are we unable to face the future? Does democracy always inevitably look for the simplest path rather than the right one? Was Jefferson right when he spoke of refreshing the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots and tyrants--and whom, exactly, was he referring to?

I don't know. I do know that I'm extremely hungry right now yet have nothing in the house I particularly want to eat. I have no desire to cook, no desire to exercise, no desire to write, and no desire to get up off this damned velco chair and actually DO something. I feel like I sit down for 14 hours a day and lie down for much of the remainder, and I'm so sick of it but so unable to do anything about it.

But I have St. John's Wort! Apparently that's all I need, or at least so goes the medical opinion I got this afternoon. We'll see. Anyway, enjoy pondering the editorial. Consider taking action. I'll consider it, too, but I doubt I actually will. Maybe in 2013, if the government has become insolvent.

Or maybe I will flee to Grenada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think what would cheer you up is getting one of those snazzy Kyrgyz hats if you ever go back. They're all the rage in the AP pictures of the election.