12 March 2005

The Couch Saga update

It's been only three weeks, but it feels like a year. There's a void, right there, in the living room. I can sense it palpably even when I'm not in the room. An emptiness.

I gave the old couch to the Salvation Army three weeks ago. I figured it would be a simple matter to get a new one. And indeed it seemed it would be; I found a very nice couch at Rooms to Go, but it wasn't meant to be. Then I shopped at other places, and found that they were all VERY expensive. The best couch I found was at Broyhill, which had some wood trim (I like that) and was the right size, but it was $500 more than the RTG couch and I wouldn't get it for eight weeks. I have company coming before then, and anyway I want to fill the void.

Another great couch I found was at Ethan Allen. But it was at Ethan Allen. You don't need me to tell you how much that cost.

But that void, that void... it called out to me, at night, at work, even on vacation. On Monday a psychologist told me it was a "contributing factor."

So, I settled. I bought a nice couch at Badcock Furniture yesterday and it will be delivered on Tuesday, while I sit at home waiting to go in for an evening flight. No need to even take time off from work (not that I mind; actually I prefer taking time off from work. If I could take the next seven years, eleven months, and two days off from work, I would). The salesman assured me that if for some reason the couch couldn't be delivered by 3 pm, he'd load it up himself and drive it out to me on Thursday.

Sounds good to me. It's not my favorite couch, and the fabric doesn't quite match the walls (the green has a bit too much blue in it), but it will suffice. Perhaps another time I'll have the money and leisure to order custom furniture, but for now I'll make do with what I can.

In short, I have a couch. If you want to come visit, you now have a place to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got my couch down at Sticks n Stuff on Gandy for like $300. It's a good couch, and was pretty easy to shop there... good luck.