11 December 2006

The first Safari Picture

Yes yes, I know, it's been like decades or something since I said I'd post safari pictures. Well, there were almost 600 of them. Give me time.

But to sate your apetite for photographs, I thought I'd post one. This picture is of the first animals we saw on safari, and they weren't even in the park. These fellows were hanging out on the roadside in the town of Mto wa Mbu, Tanzania (pronunce it Mitowahmboo and you'll be nearly correct; the name means "Village by the Mosquito River," in case you're wondering whether you want to honeymoon there or something). We saw more in the nearby Lake Manyara National Park, but these guys were special because... well, because they were first.

They're baboons, by the way, if for some reason you are unsure.

If you go to Mto wa Mbu: The place has the best bananas to be found anywhere on Earth. Buy a bunch on your way through town and enjoy them as a meal, pondering that with bananas like these it's easy to see why many poor folk in Uganda and Tanzania get more than 50% of their daily calories from the humble fruit.

Safari Post I (Introduction)
Safari Post II (Nairobi)
Safari Post III (Arusha – The Safari Begins)
Safari Post IV - Lake Manyara A
Safari Post V - Lake Manyara B
Safari Post VI - Lake Manyara Lodge
Safari Post VII - Off to Serengeti!

No comments: