26 October 2006

Rain Rain Come and Stay

Monday night, it rained. It was the first rain in quite some very long time and although it didn't last long everyone was talking about it on Tuesday.
Wednesday morning it rained twice. Wednesday night it rained again. This morning it rained so heavily I wasn't sure I would make it to breakfast.

It has rained almost all day. Not constant rain; that sort of thing doesn't happen here. But it will rain very very hard for a minute or two, and then drizzle a little, and then stop. And then twenty minutes later it will rain very very hard for a minute or two, and then drizzle a little, and then stop. And so on.

The roads on base are starting to flood. The lovely Djiboutian dust has turned into thick brown mud that sticks to everything. Puddles two inches deep dot every low spot in the mud and gravel. The acacias are heavy with rain and drip on you as you walk under them.

I love it! Man, I haven't seen rain like this in months! I forgot how much I enjoy this kind of weather. I've had a big ol' smile on my face all day. They say this is going to keep up for the next day or so; I hope they're right (whoever "they" are). If the clouds cooperate I might take some pictures this evening.

1 comment:

Lucky Bob said...

I can't imagine going that long. As opposed to many others I enjoy overcast, foggy, and rainy days. It doesn't depress me. In fact I find it a cleansing, introspective kind of day. My Dad said I should really move to England. As long as it doesn't get really cold or the wind is blowing too bad I enjoy it. I like the vertical rain more than the horizontal kind.